About Me

My photo
Carving The Light https://www.createspace.com/3439520 Also available at Amazon.com. Merchandise can be found at: http://www.cafepress.ca/CarvingTheLight

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back to Writing - Finally!

That's right...I finally sat down today and did some more writing on my current W.I.P.  And it was not a moment too soon! 

It was a struggle, to be sure...I had to go back a few times and re-read certain parts to see what had already been covered, and I definitely started out...haltingly, for lack of a better word.  I remember the ridiculous sense of victory I felt at the end of the first sentence.  I actually stood up and walked around the room for a moment as a break, because I'd just struggled so much for so little.  It was humourous, to be sure, but ultimately satisfying and, really, that first step is usually the hardest, right?

I won't say that it came easily after that first sentence had been achieved, because it didn't.  But it came a bit easier, and I managed to get back into the groove eventually.  I could feel the characters again, see their surroundings, feel their emotions...eventually, I was back in the moment again, and that felt good.  I took another break later on, and when I came back to it, I'd had an idea that sort of propelled the story forward a bit.  I'm going to wait and see what my reader thinks...if it goes too fast, then I'll bulk those sections up more, but if it flows, then I took a big step today toward finishing the first draft well in advance of the deadline I've set for myself!  At the moment, I can see the end, and it's not as far away as I had thought.  THAT feels good, too!

I learned how to say a few key words that I had previously been unsure of.  Dictionary.com has an audio clip of words being spoken according to the pronunciation key, which I hadn't noticed before.  Admittedly, I did waste a few minutes giggling over making it pronounce some words over and over, but eventually I outgrew the 8-year-old in me (okay...maybe it was nap time), and managed to continue writing.

All in all, I am relieved and pleased with how today went.  Despite work stress, moving and trying to settle in, worrying about finances, trying to promote Carving The Light, gearing up for Fan Expo and trying to win a ticket to see James Marsters live in concert, I haven't had much time, energy nor inclination to write.

But today I made it happen, at least for a little while.  And that's gotta count for something.  :)

Until soon,

SAM

No comments:

Post a Comment